Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design

Scratch Chase Game

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving! This week, for GT we are working in Scratch to create both a Chase game, and a Platformer game, (Mario type of games). For my game, I had to really take out the "impossible" aspects of it, such as speed, sprites, difficult controls, etc. Plus, I had to make sure the Shark and the Diver had more appealing colors, which is the exact opposite of rainbow colors, imagine that! I also tried to make a more, realistic scenario, where the shark is chasing the diver. Make sure to play it, the only game sitting on my first paragraph!
Scratch Platformer Game


My first chase game offers 3 sprites total, allowing clean movements when moving the diver by the mouse. Plus, my game also offers a sort of levels, giving a more complex and longer game. However, I did try to make the levels harder, but the effects held on for the next player's game, holding it there for every level. My game also offers a more suitable (Ocean) background for the "flying and flipping" sprites. However, my platformer game offers over 8 sprites, ranging from 4 levels to a boss battle. It also can create clean and smooth movements, (And a wall jump..Shhh.) However, topping it in top was my freedom game. Offering a more bountiful amount of levels, as well clean and working scripts that make the game especially harder!
Scratch Freedom Game
 I really believe that my best code, (Other then the gravity script I copied then edited) were my broadcast scripts, without them, I would have no way to signal anything to happen, such as boss battles, traps, background changes, etc. Now, my most DIFFICULT bug fixes that almost made me punch my computer...was probably the gravity. Every gravity script I tried, either sinked my character underground, or made it fly up to space. Thankfully, I found and edited a working script that made my character grounded.






7 comments:

  1. I like the speed of the two sprites and how smooth they move around.
    Maybe the user could loose a point everytime the shark catches them.
    I like how you added in levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you looked at the costumes for the shark and made his face change every few seconds.
    I think that you could make the game a little bit easier to win the game, maybe you could look at the If, then block and say If sprite one touches (for 2 seconds) shark then decrease point by -1.
    Overall I think that you did a great job on your chase game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an amazingly well done game! It moves really well and is pretty fun to play.
    Although the boss could be a bit easier to win. Maybe reduce his movement speed a little.
    I like the sprites you used for the game. It makes it look like an old platformer mario type of game almost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This a great and fun game Tyler! Although maybe you could make the green dots a little bigger by changing the size of that sprite. Great game and I cant wait to play it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the diffrent levels and the sprites. It would be nice if the boss was slower. I love the idea of a boss in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Tyler, I really like your game its very addicting!
    I think maybe you should wait 1 second after the yellow character touches the boss.
    I can't wait so you make more of these games, there really amazing!

    ReplyDelete